Sustainability and engagement
In this episode of the Engaging Internal Comms podcast, we had an enlightening conversation with Helen Neal, a sustainability communications expert and the owner of Leaders Live. We delved into the crucial role of leadership in driving sustainability and the importance of effective communication strategies for sustainability initiatives. Here are some key takeaways:
1. Sustainability Leadership: Helen emphasised that sustainability should not be an add-on but should be integrated into the overall business strategy. It’s a top-down approach, with the CEO and the C-suite leading the way.
2. Authentic Communication: Helen warned against the risks of greenwashing and encouraged businesses to communicate authentically and transparently about their sustainability efforts. She highlighted the significance of sharing both successes and failures.
3. Collaboration and Collective Action: Helen believes that businesses should shift their traditional style of communication and be willing to show vulnerability. She emphasised the importance of collaboration and collective action in driving change.
4. Incorporating Sustainability into Decision-Making: Helen shared how businesses are integrating sustainability into their decision-making processes and bonus structures, making sustainability a quantifiable factor in business decisions.
5. Gamification in Sustainability Communication: Helen mentioned the use of gamification as a powerful tool in sustainability communication. By making it fun and engaging, organisations can encourage employees to participate and learn.
6. NGO Partnerships: Helen advised looking outside the organisation for potential NGO partnerships. Collaborating with NGOs can provide support, auditing, and a balance to corporate communications.
This episode is a must-listen for anyone interested in sustainability, leadership, and communication. Helen’s insights are invaluable, and her passion for doing more good in the world is truly inspiring. I want to thank Helen for her contribution to our podcast and you, our listeners, for your continued support. As always, I encourage you to share your ideas for future episodes and look forward to hearing your feedback. Feel free to email us at email@example.com or use the feedback form below.
You can find all our previous episodes on the Engaging Internal Comms website. And remember, if you’re interested in visual communication services, don’t hesitate to reach out to The Big Picture People.
Helen Neal is the owner of the award-winning Sustainability Communications agency, HN Communications and sustainability events company Leaders LIVE. Helen has two decades of experience in political and social campaigns and communications. She is an advocate of collaboration and kindness in business and is on a mission to help businesses do more good in the world.
LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/helen-neal-02261129/
Link to a relevant episode of the podcast: https://thebigpicturepeople.co.uk/blog/podcast/communicating-sustainability-s4-e19/